Firelight

Firelight  - Kristen Callihan This ARC was provided to me by Grand Central Publishing through Netgalley :)Although I've read books set in certain time periods, I would definitely have to say that Firelight was my first [real] historical romance. HR's have never really appealed to me, until I read Firelight. With the mystery of the Phantom of the Opera, and a love story resembling Beauty and the Beast, Firelight is the best of both worlds.Being new to historical romances, I was a bit apprehensive when I started reading this. It starts off a bit slow, but I was entranced by the beautiful writing to really even notice the pacing. I could practically imagine myself in the streets of London, standing alongside Miranda as she tries to figure out the mystery of Lord Archer.The characters were well written, each with their own distinct personality and charm. Miranda and Archer make a great team... making certain scenes with them together get super sexy. *fans self* The only thing I didn't like was that Miranda came off as kind of a Mary Sue. I didn't really get to connect with her because I didn't feel like I knew her well enough. But, I did like her well enough.The mystery in the story is fantastic. I definitely wasn't expecting what happens at the end, and what Archer is revealed to be. It was so different from the typical "monster," that I was thoroughly surprised. All in all, the book wasn't perfect, but it was a great introduction (for me) to the historical romance genre. I look forward to reading the next book, which features Miranda's sister, Daisy :)